We are often asked the question: “What do you mean by Responsible Desalination”?
The short answer is that Responsible Desalination practices by water managers follows best practices for short and long term success of the community, not just the managers of a water treatment facility.
Specifically, we ask a few questions:
1) Are you following the National and State laws and permitting requirements?
2) Are you taking public ocean water in ways that minimize marine life kill (such as using sub-surface intake pipes)?
3) Are your management practices sound, transparent, and cost-effective?
4) Are you making the appropriate capital investments and maintenance to assure your assets (physical, intellectual, and human) are sustainable over the next several decades?
5) Are you working with your local and professional communities to advance energy efficiency and green goals?